+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OUS-002 The Very Best of SEGA

I got my copy today...*Joy*

Review forth coming. C'mon folks, do some reviews to sway other people to buy the album.

Is there going to be any liners notes posted online? I'd love to see what each artist had to say about their particular tracks.
    PMM: ATtNU GE#0413
    SD: #160
    T&S: #261
    VBoS
    Silent Horror
    Trance Album #10 "I could have Tranced all night"
    Xenogears Light
    Joe Cam Hits & Misses "I love you long time"
    The OneUps Vol 1
    The OneUps Vol 2
    Right Out of the Blue
    More Than Mario
    CHRONOTORIOUS

Byah

Id love to post a review, but no album today
    Awaiting:
    Shining Force remakes/compilation
    Lolo remakes/compliation
    Landstalker remake

Anonymous

Re: The Very Best of Sega - Opinions and Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nekobo
    I got my copy today...*Joy*

Review forth coming. C'mon folks, do some reviews to sway other people to buy the album.

Is there going to be any liners notes posted online? I'd love to see what each artist had to say about their particular tracks.
    Sweet! I'm a mere 50 miles away, hopefully mine will arrive today too.

* rubs hands together anxiously *

I'm going on a road trip this weekend, so I hope it arrives before Friday so I can enjoy the new music on the trip.

I'll be posting a review once I've listened to my copy thoroughly.

* points up *

That was me... Woops!
    EFP Volumes 1-6: Free downloads at http://electrofreaks.bandcamp.com/

I am absolutely addicted to the tracks with vocals. I can't get enough of Sonic Boom and Super Sonic Racing!! They are just so catchy. I've had both of them stuck in my head since the first listen. And ToeJam Jammin' is some of the greatest sax stuff I've ever heard......

Moose

I haven't got mine yet, but reading in the newsletter that not even a third of the mailing list (640 people) bought the album made me sad. Come on guys, order the album, this low number of people buying it is just sad
    Crush humanity out of shape once more... and it will twist itself into the same tortured forms.

Make that 639. I admit, I probably should have bought this album a lot earlier, but I just got some money so now I can afford to buy this CD and donate some to OUS.

Anonymous
    Perhaps the sales numbers are so low because those samples don't really give a very good impression? And, it might also be because of the fact that the album doesn't have any Square music on it.

Anyways, I prefer the first explanation.

"This is our best album yet." Yeah, what else you could say in that situation?

Got my copy today, and I love it. Two of my favorite video game tracks were mixed by some of my favorite artists, so I can't complain there. I'll definitely recommend this to all my friends.

I'll probably post one of those long, extra-critical reviews on my LiveJournal tonight, but until then, whoever didn't order it should do so now; you will NOT regret it.

-DCT

OneUp Studios Official Noticer of Shit Flik's Avatar
    I'm getting my copies when I pick Mustin up at Erin's place tomorrow. Good way to save on postage.
    I'll definatly have to do some sort of review and find ways to whore this album out.

First of all, I have to comment how amazing it is to have many of the original composers give their consent to this album.

Without further ado, here is my amateur review of the The Very Best of Sega

1. Mustin - Go Straight : A relatively straight forward arrangement of the bad ass first level theme in SoR2...one of my personal favs. Sounds like this could be used in a next generation update of the game. I didn't care too much for the use of samples from the game, though. It just doesn't seem necessary to me, perhaps a bit juvenile for an arrangement cd. It also reminds me of some of Mustin's earlier remixes where he used samples.

2. Tim Sheehy feat. Ailsean - After Burner Woo hoo, Kajin and Ailsean working together. Great arrangement...it perfectly conveys the feeling of flying a super sonic jet. Makes me think of Top Gun. If I were to think of a word to describe this track, it would "solid." Initially I thought I wouldn't care too much for this track, but I was proven wrong. Thanks guys.

3. Mustin - Lava Reef - Seems like every OUS album needs a sexy smooth piece; first Wings of Time, Dream of Another Time, and now this. Might this possibly be a hint of how the future OneUp Mushrooms might sound in the future? Another pleasant surprise. I only wish that I could remember how the original sounded; I can imagine Knuckles chilling with Sonic sipping mai tais. Silky smooth.

4. Dale North feat. Miss Esther Stillwell - DREAM DREAM - Some nice singing by Miss Stillwell. Nice background music, too. Fits perfectly. I prefer this more to the original...it has a nicer, softer vibe to it. It sounds better as a love song, too...the duet in the first one didn't appeal to me. If only Dale got involved and did a duet with Miss Stillwell. Perhaps this track is an indication of how Dale's original album might sound?

5. Dale North - Super Hang On - Wow, I didn't quite expect the song to be arranged in a such a soft, jazzy way. I don't remember the original version too well, having only played it in Shenmue (I think). I just remember it being fast paced...mmm...nonetheless, a nice complement to the previous track.

6. Dale North - Panzer Dragoon - A cinematic take on one of the more kick ass games for the Saturn. It has this nice, slow build up that works its way into a solemn, powerful rendition (with the pianaa) of the game's theme. Then Dale whips out the strings and nostalgia suddenly strikes in at 2:25. My favorite part - the majestic main theme. Beautiful. Then the track slowly fades out in the same way it arrived in the beginning.

7. Tim Sheehy & Dale North - Slow Moon - Hells yes, another one of the classic tracks from SoR2. Just like Mustin's take on Go Straight, this would fit in perfectly with a next generation update of SoR2. I can imagine Axel and his crew kicking some generic thug ass in the park at night. A fine arrangement that doesn't deviate from the original tune.

8. Mustin & William Reyes - Sonic Boom Not too familar with the original, so can't comment on how this arrangement compares to that. I can say that this has this soft, R&B kinda feel to it. The music reminds me of the the Team Gato mix, where that "girl" is talking to Gato. Not too bad...it'll probably take a while for this one to grow on me.

9. Ailsean - Phantasy Star III - Starts of a nice, synthy intro that reminds me a the old Sega game sounded. Then Ailsean's signature guitar work pops in around 1:20. While it doesn't take the song to the soaring heights as I had hoped, it keeps true to the classic feel of the theme. It is nice to hear another individual arrangement from Ailsean...hopefully more forthcoming.

10. Dale North - Phantasy Star IV - A rather weird, electronica type track. Never played the original, so no idea how it sounded on the Genesis. I just know that it is a big contrast from the gentle PSIII theme. This one has a more ominous, sci fi theme...which works really well for the PS universe. Nice beats.

11. Mustin & the Extra Men - ToeJam & Earl - Straight from planet Funkatron, Mustin & the Extra Men bring you this appropriately funky take on the theme. This time around I didn't mind the use of samples; they blend in well, as opposed to punctuating the notes in Go Straight.

12. Mustin feat. Broderick Daniels - Sonic R - Sadly, Sonic R was the only true 3D sonic game for the Saturn...and it had to be a racing game. Anyways, this track is rather unique sounding. Some funky synths and a nice beat. I didn't like the vocalist too much, though. The voice just doesn't seem to fit in with the lyrics...especially when he says "Super Sonic Racing." Also, considering the lyrics, this song seems more appropriate for a faster pace arrangement. The whole style of the arrangement just doesn't appeal to me.

13. Dale North feat. Ailsean - Skies of Arcadia Movement I - Wow. The first 90 seconds is how I would imagine an arranged album of of the Skies of Arcadia might sound. After that Ailsean's guitar makes a nice appearance, adding a bit of extra flavor and oomph, though the track would have still sounded great without the guitar.

14. Dale North feat. Ailsean - Skies of Arcadia Movement II - Didn't like the original piece too much...just seemed a bit too corny for my taste. It has this vibrant, galvanting attitude. This arrangement is pretty good, nonetheless. If only it were a bit longer; I was really starting to enjoy Ailsean's guitar work. My favorite segment is after the :40 mark.

15. Dale North - Skies of Arcadia Movement III - I'm really glad you guys chose to do this one. It is one beautifully woven lullaby. Dale shows off his nifty piano skills. Touching stuff...

Overall, a very good album. I hope it starts a new trend with the vocals. At the moment, I still prefer Time & Space more, since I'm more familar with Mitsuda than with these Sega themes ( I'm probably biased towards the more memorable Chrono/Xeno themes, anyways). Although most of the tracks stay true to the themes, pleasant surprises are abound in this album. As a whole, there is more variety of music on this one than T&S. If only the last two tracks were a bit longer, then I'd be even more satisfied. The only track I didn't like was the Sonic R track. My favorites are Movement III, Lava Reef, DREAM DREAM, and Slow Moon.

Sega Heads rejoice, Sega Newbies prepare yourself for some kick ass tunes and arrangements: The VBoS is definitely worth every penny spent.
    PMM: ATtNU GE#0413
    SD: #160
    T&S: #261
    VBoS
    Silent Horror
    Trance Album #10 "I could have Tranced all night"
    Xenogears Light
    Joe Cam Hits & Misses "I love you long time"
    The OneUps Vol 1
    The OneUps Vol 2
    Right Out of the Blue
    More Than Mario
    CHRONOTORIOUS

Byah

Anonymous
    Hmm, just downloaded the demos again. I dunno if I'll buy it; it sucks that it didn't sell a lot, but I just don't like the style of music on a lot of the tracks. (Like the vocal ones.)

Pre-ordered mine shortly after Christmas...but it hasn't arrived yet. *tear* I'll be posting my review once I've had a listen through. And yeah, it sucks that no one's buying it, so I'll have to advertise it to all my friends.

--Marcel

Seems quite a few people have gotten the album already, but they must live pretty close to Mustin or something. This does give me hope, i might get the album tommorow all the way up here in Canada (haha, yeah right ). Friday is good friday so I won't get it then. Most likely it will be early next week, I'll give the CD a few whirls and then get up a good track by track review, hopefully I can make it really long, most of my reviews on vgmix are like a page long, so I might be able to do a pretty long review for this cd
    Crush humanity out of shape once more... and it will twist itself into the same tortured forms.

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by demalavor
    Seems quite a few people have gotten the album already, but they must live pretty close to Mustin or something. This does give me hope, i might get the album tommorow all the way up here in Canada (haha, yeah right ). Friday is good friday so I won't get it then. Most likely it will be early next week, I'll give the CD a few whirls and then get up a good track by track review, hopefully I can make it really long, most of my reviews on vgmix are like a page long, so I might be able to do a pretty long review for this cd
    Hey give me some credit. I live in Michigan...not by Mustin AND I pre-ordered the album a long time ago. Feels like we should get extra stuff like movies of them making the cd or something for pre-ordering it... j/k

Honestly I can't wait for it to come here.

400+ Geek
    Nice album. I'd recommend it. Even though I am a little biased, being a "Staff" member.

Seriously, though, it has a nice assortment here. It is a litttle less varied than Time and Space, which might turn you off if you're not into modern R&B. I'm kind of on the fence on the R&B parts, since they're not completely conventional and use some groovy instrument choices, but overall they don't have the meat I'm looking for in a track.

Aside from my R&B bias, each track has a distinct personality and delivery. The first Streets of Rage track was cool but a little repetitive, with the second one being very groovy. I enjoyed all of the Ailsean tracks (I'm more rock than R&B, obviously). I even enjoyed the cover of the cheesy Sonic CD track "Sonic Boom", despite it having been mentioned sometimes as a notorious example of Sega's cheesy song legacy (DAYTOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA). It used more a bit more restraint and worked better than the original, which is a good thing.

Special mention needs to go to the Toe Jam & Earl track, which is a favorite of mine (ie I love virt's arrangement). It goes in a direction that surprised me - I expected a meatier funk jam - but the quirkiness that comes out is fitting in a George Cllinton-esque madhouse setting. I was bopping my head along to it.

It's interesting to hear the Skies of Arcadia trilogy. I'm typing as I'm listening to them right now. The first part serve as a nice penultimate moment to the CD, with a grand flourish that works as a good counterpoint to the CD's otherwise more modern sounding arrangement. That's not to say the second part is classical baroque or something, but it still has a grander feel. The trilogy is finished with a sincere romantic touch that again works well, and has that distinct Dale North Sound (tm) to it. No cumshots are present, however.

Continuing in the Project Majestic Mix and One Up Studios general tradition of variety, this disc does not disappoint. You'll hear a bit of everything, and will hopefully as a result find something to your liking. Again, I more preferred the rock and funk tracks, but that's my bias and not the fault of the tracks. If you like VGM, you should get this album.

Anonymous

Awesome!

Love it! Thoroughly enjoyed the CD, as I've enjoyed every other arrangement coming out of here. I'm not one to comment on specific details or anything.. And I've never even heard the origninals of any of these songs, I don't think (or too far back to remember).. but I like 'em all, and that's enough for me! Should be enough for ya'll as well. But seriously, definitely recommend TVBoS to any who has yet to order it.

ARgh, I live in Europe so I will have to wait for like 7 days to recieve my copy.

Question:
    Any special bonuses or easter eggs found on the cd?
    KFFS:
    *Project Majestic Mix Gold #703 /1500
    *Squaredance #872 /1000
    Trance #33 /1000

OUS:
    *Time & Space (blue version)
    *The Very Best of Sega
    *Xenogears Light

Dale:
    *Silent Horror

400+ Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Totto
    ARgh, I live in Europe so I will have to wait for like 7 days to recieve my copy.

Question:
    Any special bonuses or easter eggs found on the cd?
    Not that I know of, no. No bonus tracks or anything. I haven't checked the liner notes yet, though. Could be a hidden URL somewhere like PMM1.

EDIT - Variable Rush put a gun to my head and forced me to mention his liner notes. They took me by surprise, since I first didn't see any wacky randomness and figured he got cut. Then he pointed out the phrase "Variable rush" in the first paragraph. Hah. Well written and informative - Sega doesn't have its story as established as the story of Nintendo (ala "Game Over").

The Heavily Disputed King of the Random Variable Rush's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekobo
    Is there going to be any liners notes posted online?
    I don't know about posted online, but there is a kickass liner note IN THE BOX THE CD CAME IN that talks about The History of SEGA, I read them notes while listening to the CD and it kicked ass. The guy that wrote them rocks. According to the "Thank You's" page, it says some guy named "Brad Hall" wrote them. Whoever he is, YOU ROCK!!!!

The music rocks too, and any day now my review will be on www.chudahs-corner.com

Rock On!
    When you are the Moon, there is a person people say is the sun. I saw the sun once, and he came past me, really fast. And it was an, it was called, the, an eclipse. And he came fast! But as he came past, I, I licked his back. And he doesn't know I licked his back! All in his yellow suit!

Will animenation / gamemusic or any other big site sell the cd?
    KFFS:
    *Squaredance #872 /1000
    Trance #33 /1000

OUS:
    *The Very Best of Sega
    *Xenogears Light

Dale:
    *Silent Horror

Who cares about Animenation or Gamemusic? If you buy directly from OUS you can rest comfortably in the knowledge that Mustin has caressed and lovingly sealed your CD in the box he ships it in.
    When you are the Moon, there is a person people say is the sun. I saw the sun once, and he came past me, really fast. And it was an, it was called, the, an eclipse. And he came fast! But as he came past, I, I licked his back. And he doesn't know I licked his back! All in his yellow suit!

Anonymous

Variable Rush:

I just thought it would be a good deal for OneUp to sell TVBoS on Gamemusic and Animenation. Animenation has alot mot visitors then OneUp, and I remeber that when Animenation sold "time & space" that album was on the top 10 soundtracks sold.
    KFFS:
    *Squaredance #872 /1000
    Trance #33 /1000

OUS:
    *The Very Best of Sega
    *Xenogears Light

Dale:
    *Silent Horror

Yes, but I meant that "Those who are here should buy theirs here" also, the ones here have 10% more Mustinage than the ones sold elsewhere.

Ofcourse, all who are here should buy the album directly from Mustin hemself. It is really strange that like 1/3 of all 639 who subscribe to the newsletter have ordered the soundtrack.
    KFFS:
    *Squaredance #872 /1000
    Trance #33 /1000

OUS:
    *The Very Best of Sega
    *Xenogears Light

Dale:
    *Silent Horror

I just got the album and listened to it twice. I loved it. My favorite songs were Lava Reef, Phantasy Star III Main Theme & Outside A Crisis. There isn't 1 bad song on the entire CD.

The only thing I didnt like was the booklet. The Brief History Of SEGA was good, but I was expecting more than that. Some pictures/screenshots of the games, or why the songs that were chosen for the album were chosen would have made the booklet better, in my opinion.

Definitly worth the money.
    Awaiting:
    Shining Force remakes/compilation
    Lolo remakes/compliation
    Landstalker remake

Had time for a quick listen when I got it today. I'll review it later when I have time to absorb it, but just one quick nitpick. Phantasy Star didn't start out on the Mega Drive. The original PS was on the Master System. PS II, III, and IV were on Genesis. Sorry, I'm too big of a Phantasy Star fan to let it go. But one word about PS IV "End of the Millennium" arrangement: AWESOME!!!!
    Manly.

Quote Originally Posted by stevekarpeal
    The only thing I didn't like was the booklet.
    You... have just single handedly destroyed my will to live. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Jones
    Phantasy Star didn't start out on the Mega Drive. The original PS was on the Master System.
    Yes, but as you said yourself Phantasy Star III and IV were on the Genesis, the book didn't say it started on the Mega Drive.

Thread Information